Volume 12, Issue 4, December 2013, Pages 378 - 391
Beta-Cauchy Distribution: Some Properties and Applications
- Etaf Alshawarbeh, Felix Famoye, Carl Lee
- Corresponding Author
- Etaf Alshawarbeh
Available Online 1 December 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.4.5How to use a DOI?
- Beta family, mean deviation, entropy, maximum likelihood estimation
- Some properties of the four-parameter beta-Cauchy distribution such as the mean deviation and Shannon’s entropy are obtained. The method of maximum likelihood is proposed to estimate the parameters of the distribution. A simulation study is carried out to assess the performance of the maximum likelihood estimates. The usefulness of the new distribution is illustrated by applying it to three empirical data sets and comparing the results to some existing distributions. The beta-Cauchy distribution is found to provide great flexibility in modeling symmetric and skewed heavy-tailed data sets.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Etaf Alshawarbeh AU - Felix Famoye AU - Carl Lee PY - 2013 DA - 2013/12 TI - Beta-Cauchy Distribution: Some Properties and Applications JO - Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications SP - 378 EP - 391 VL - 12 IS - 4 SN - 2214-1766 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.4.5 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.4.5 ID - Alshawarbeh2013 ER -