Assessing Computational Thinking using Pseudocode Programming Instrument
- Ekohariadi Ekohariadi, Yeni Anistyasari, Ricky Putra, Ibnu Kurniawan
- Corresponding Author
- Ekohariadi Ekohariadi
Available Online July 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.30How to use a DOI?
- computational thinking, pseudocode, Rasch model, visual programming
- the purpose of this research is to create an instrument to measure understanding of computational thinking concept and independent programming language that would not be biased by any computer’s programming language. Computational thinking can be taught through programming of visual language Scratch as a new way to solve problems. Academic performance can be assessed using pseudocode programming. The basic idea of computational thinking is algorithmic thinking and exploring the concept of mathematics to solve the problems with more convincing results. The concepts of computational thinking which are taught through Scratch visual programming language are conditional, iteration, array and procedure. δ is a parameter location which determines the position of item characteristic curve in the relation with ability scale. 40 items of computer programming tests were evaluated using Rasch model in which one item was deleted. δ parameter was in range of -2.52 to 2.83. The easiest concept to learn is procedure while the most elusive one is array. The average of gain scores was 0.20, of which meant computer programming learning was not effective. The correlation between learning gain and pretest scores was -0.174.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ekohariadi Ekohariadi AU - Yeni Anistyasari AU - Ricky Putra AU - Ibnu Kurniawan PY - 2018/07 DA - 2018/07 TI - Assessing Computational Thinking using Pseudocode Programming Instrument BT - International Conference on Indonesian Technical Vocational Education and Association (APTEKINDO 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.30 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.30 ID - Ekohariadi2018/07 ER -