Countermeasure Analysis to Problems in China’s Seaman Market
- Xiujun Nie, Qinghui Yuan, Haijun Yang, Xiuyan Zhang
- Corresponding Author
- Xiujun Nie
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.122How to use a DOI?
- seaman market, industry organization, school-government cooperation, countermeasure analysis
- China's seaman market has started to go into a downturn, the aging, temporary shortage, and decline of qualities of seamen are an obvious trend, exerting a negative impact on the economic development. Therefore, given such problems, the Chinese government shall actively strengthen school-government cooperation supported by industry organizations so as to cultivate qualified seaman teams for China. Since the shipping economic crisis of 2008, the shipping market has long been a depression, so has the seaman market. According to the statistics of Maritime Education Research, the number of licenses of third mates and third engineers has reduced by almost 30% by the end of 2016, a considerable proportion of seamen with junior certificates has left for other fields. Since 2010, the enrollment of maritime universities and colleges has dropped sharply, and the quality of students has also declined. For the current depression in the seaman market, it is necessary to analyze the causes and find the measures.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Xiujun Nie AU - Qinghui Yuan AU - Haijun Yang AU - Xiuyan Zhang PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Countermeasure Analysis to Problems in China’s Seaman Market BT - 2018 International Conference on Advances in Social Sciences and Sustainable Development (ASSSD 2018) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.122 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.122 ID - Nie2018/05 ER -