Effects of Long-term Irrigation with Water from Wastewater Receiving River on Soil Chemical and Microbiological Properties in Hebei, China
- Gao Rutai, Liang Qiong, Zhang Yuan, Zhang Hui, Tan Wenbin, Ma Lina, Xi Beidou
- Corresponding Author
- Gao Rutai
Available Online August 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.9How to use a DOI?
- treated wastewater; irrigation; heavy metal; labile soil organic carbon; enzyme activities
- In arid and semi-arid regions in China, a large amount of treated wastewater is discharged into rivers that supply water for agriculture. Treated wastewater contains not only valuable nutrients, but also toxic contaminants that might affect soil quality. This study investigated how long-term irrigation with water from a wastewater receiving river affected soil chemical and microbiological properties in Hebei Province, China. Soil samples were collected from three river water irrigated fields adjacent to Wangyang River, and three groundwater irrigated fields far from the river. The results showed that irrigation with river water for more than 20 years had significantly increased dissolved organic C, microbial biomass C and permanganate oxidizable C contents, and -glucosidase, urease, alkaline phosphatase, arylsulphatase and dehydrogenase activities in the surface soil, reflecting a stimulated microbial activity in river water irrigated soils. Long-term irrigation with river water has also resulted in accumulation of Hg, Cd, As, Pb, Cu, Cr and Zn in the soil, and may pose potential risk to soil quality and food safety. We conclude that although the river water irrigation has beneficial effects on soil microbiological characteristics, a controlled irrigation management based on periodic monitoring of soil quality parameters is needed to ensure its safe and long-term use in agriculture.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Gao Rutai AU - Liang Qiong AU - Zhang Yuan AU - Zhang Hui AU - Tan Wenbin AU - Ma Lina AU - Xi Beidou PY - 2015/08 DA - 2015/08 TI - Effects of Long-term Irrigation with Water from Wastewater Receiving River on Soil Chemical and Microbiological Properties in Hebei, China BT - 2015 AASRI International Conference on Circuits and Systems (CAS 2015) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.9 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.9 ID - Rutai2015/08 ER -