Sequential QoS Mapping Model for Multi-layerVideo Delivery in 802.11e Wireless Networks
- Lamia Romdhani, Abr Mohamed
- Corresponding Author
- Lamia Romdhani
Available Online July 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.43How to use a DOI?
- EDCA, Layered video, mapping strategy, analytical model.
- Multi-layer video transmission over wireless networks poses numerous challenges due to symantec nature of the encoded video and the intrinsic dependency between the video layers, which, if not considered, may cause severe quality degradation. In this paper, we present a new analytical model leveraging cross layer design for distributed video layers mapping that optimizes the QoS of wireless video transmission over IEEE 802.11e EDCA (Enhanced Distributed Channel Access) priority queues. MRC (Multi-Resolution Coding) Layered video, divides video into a base layer and multiple enhancement layers.We aim to improve the perceived video quality, impacted by high channel contention, through mapping individual video layers into EDCA access categories in order to maximize the average number of reconstructed video layers. The proposed technique is based on a dynamic program that takes into account the EDCA parameters and the dependency nature of layered video delivery, leveraging an application-based metric that measures the symantec video quality. Our proposed technique makes use of a channel delay statistical model to estimate the expected useful video layers delivered. The performance of our optimized mapping technique is verified through extensive simulations. The obtained results illustrate significant trade-off between complexity and delivered video quality for canonical mapping schemes.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Lamia Romdhani AU - Abr Mohamed PY - 2013/07 DA - 2013/07 TI - Sequential QoS Mapping Model for Multi-layerVideo Delivery in 802.11e Wireless Networks BT - 2nd International Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE 2013) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.43 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.43 ID - Romdhani2013/07 ER -