Discourse Analysis of the Victory Speech of President Trump from the Perspective of Theme and Thematic Progression Patterns
- Xiulian Liu, Huijun Zhang
- Corresponding Author
- Xiulian Liu
Available Online August 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/emim-18.2018.56How to use a DOI?
- Theme and thematic progression patterns; Discourse analysis; Victory speech of American president Trump
- The victory speech of presidential election in the United States is given by the new president after a long and tough election journey. It will not only reveal the identity of the new president but also conclude the summary of the election, the joy of the result and new political views. As a president with unique individual characteristics and lots of controversies, the victory speech of president Trump should be focused. Theme and thematic progression patterns are mainly used to analyze the meaning and structure of discourses. By this method, the content and structure of Trump’s victory speech can be better understood. Appropriated theme and thematic progression patterns will be helpful to convey the information. Parallel and concentrated progression patterns are used to emphasize some important information. Continuous and crossed progression patterns are helpful for the development of the speech.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Xiulian Liu AU - Huijun Zhang PY - 2018/08 DA - 2018/08 TI - Discourse Analysis of the Victory Speech of President Trump from the Perspective of Theme and Thematic Progression Patterns BT - 8th International Conference on Education, Management, Information and Management Society (EMIM 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/emim-18.2018.56 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/emim-18.2018.56 ID - Liu2018/08 ER -