A new open science joining in new theories and models classical disciplines variables and methods is necessary for development of the holistic analysis and the complex thinking, Sustainable Development paradigm needs. That new open science used to be called Transdisciplinary Science.
Eureka Iberoamerica Network: The Iberian American Network of Knowledge Discovery is characterized essentially for a transdisciplinary scientific strategy fostered on a wide understanding of Knowledge Discovery and Business Intelligence. It has joined the efforts of research groups working in different fields with the purpose to gather Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Management and Decision Making in only one transdisciplinary scientific space and process.
The contribution to develop transdisciplinary theories and practical solutions and strategies, for modeling and analysis of different intellectual activities studied from rational thinking such as: Evaluation, Estimation, Reasoning, Learning, Knowledge Discovery and Decision Making, by mixing rationally different disciplines into Operations Research and Computational Intelligence is the essence of these workshops
This volume contains papers presented at the 4th International Workshop on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Management and Decision Support (Eureka-2013), held in Mazatlan, Mexico, November 6-8, 2013. This was the fourth international workshop dedicated entirely to these important topics, following the successful Eureka-2008, Eureka-2009, and Eureka-2011 workshops, which were held in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia; Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá; and Santander, Spain, respectively.
In response to the call for papers, the organizers received 71 papers from 13 countries, each of which was independently reviewed by at least two members of the Program Committee and a few external reviewers. This volume contains the 49 papers accepted for publication in these proceedings.
They were organized (as it is the tradition of Eureka’s Workshops) in plenary sessions joined in 5 different groups:
1. Fuzzy logic and Rough Sets for knowledge discovery, knowledge management and decision support.
2. Softcomputing for knowledge discovery, knowledge management and decision support.
3. Theory and models of multicriteria decision making, games theory and optimization for knowledge discovery, knowledge management and decision support.
4. Probabilistic, statistic and stochastic methods for knowledge discovery, knowledge management and decision support.
5. Business intelligence, Knowledge Management and Ontology engineering.
Discussions according the following issues were done in each group:
- Possible hybrid solutions joining presented papers among them and with other scientific issues
- Possible development of transdisciplinary theories and models according the presentations
We would like to express our appreciation to the keynote and tutorial speakers for accepting our invitation. We also thank all the authors who submitted their work to Eureka-2013, and the members of the Program Committee for their thorough reviews.
Juan Carlos Leyva López
Rafael Alejandro Espin Andrade
Rafael Bello Pérez
Pavel Anselmo Álvarez Carrillo