Numerical Investigation on Effect of Wrinkle on Stiffness in Isotropic Metal Sheets
- Supriya Patil, C. Ramdas, Rahul Harshe, Sham Gurav
- Corresponding Author
- Supriya Patil
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.4How to use a DOI?
- Sheet metal, Wrinkle defect, Wrinkle factor, Modelling, Stiffness
- A numerical study was conducted to find the effect of wrinkle in a metal sheet on its stiffness under tensile, compressive and flexural loading conditions. To define wrinkle of different sizes in model 'wrinkle factor' - ratio of thickness of specimen at wrinkle location to thickness of the specimen at no wrinkle location, is defined. Stiffness of a sheet with wrinkle has been compared with that of a pristine sheet under various loading conditions. From numerical results it is seen that, the stiffness in both tension and compression loading reduces as the wrinkle factor increases. But the stiffness in flexural loading is not affected considerably; contrary it increases for some wrinkle factor. Considering various loading conditions, it is observed that, stiffness in compression is affected more than in any other case. Furthermore, an attempt has been made to investigate force picked up by wrinkled portion and compared with the total force applied on the sample.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Supriya Patil AU - C. Ramdas AU - Rahul Harshe AU - Sham Gurav PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Numerical Investigation on Effect of Wrinkle on Stiffness in Isotropic Metal Sheets BT - International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing 2016 (ICCASP 2016) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.4 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.4 ID - Patil2016/12 ER -