Investigations into Wire Electro-discharge Machining of A6061/Al2O3p Composites
- Vaishali Baisane, Nilesh Patil, Subhash Lahane, Raju Pawade, Prakash Brahmankar
- Corresponding Author
- Vaishali Baisane
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.16How to use a DOI?
- MMC's, Wire breakage, WEDM, Kerf Width, Taguchi Method
- Wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM) is a widely employed non-traditional machining process. Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs) are newly developed materials having favourable mechanical properties like high strength, hardness, wear resistance and strength to weight ratio. In this study, experimental investigation based on the Taguchi method involving four control factors with three levels using orthogonal array L18 is reported. Taguchi orthogonal array was used to study the effect of combination of reinforcement, pulse on-time, off-time and servo voltage on Material Removal Rate, kerf width and surface finish. A6061 and A6061/Al2O3/10p have been machined in this study. The wire electrode breakages were found during the machining A6061/ Al2O3p composite. The locations and frequency of wire breakage was studied to identify the reasons of wire breaking during machining of these materials. It was found that the presence Al2O3p results in lower MRR and higher Surface roughness (Ra). The Material removal rate varied between 31.25 to 61.25 mm2/min Al6061 alloy and 16.25 to 33.25mm2/min for MMC. The Surface roughness varies between 2.11 and 3.3 µm for Al6061 alloy and 2.18 and 4.76 µm for MMC.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Vaishali Baisane AU - Nilesh Patil AU - Subhash Lahane AU - Raju Pawade AU - Prakash Brahmankar PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Investigations into Wire Electro-discharge Machining of A6061/Al2O3p Composites BT - International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing 2016 (ICCASP 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.16 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.16 ID - Baisane2016/12 ER -