Effect of Flouride Acid Activation of Natural Bentonite on Bleaching of Palm Oil
- Sri Hilma Siregar, Wirdati Irma, Fitra Perdana, Jusnita, Olif Syahbella
- Corresponding Author
- Sri Hilma Siregar
Available Online December 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iccelst-st-19.2019.17How to use a DOI?
- bleaching, palm oil, bentonite, acid activation, flouride
- A natural bentonite from Indonesia was activated with 1 % of fluoride acid. In characterizing the activated and raw clay samples, XRD, BET and infrared spectroscopy were utilized. Bleached oil was analysed to find out peroxide value content, the percentage of colour reduction (%CR), acid value as well as the percentage of free fatty acid (%FFA) content before and after bleaching. Bleaching efficiency was calculated from measurement of absorbance of UV light by frying oil before and after treatment with activated clay. The BET results obtained exhibited the values of surface area and pore volumes were 26.893 m2/g and 0.067 cc/g respectively for the natural bentonite, after the activation with 1 % of HF acid these values changed to 43.167m2/g and 0.108cc/g, respectively. The optimum bleaching condition of clay dosage and contact time of bleaching were 2 gram and 120 minutes resulted in %FFA was 0.27%, acid value was 0.537, peroxide value was 9.57meq/kg, oil retention was 54.48% and 80% of luminance of colour reduction. Our results show that activated bentonite can be used to reduce the concentration of peroxide value, the darkness colour of frying oil to reduce, and free fatty acid adsorption or reduction in acid value efficiencies increase with higher adsorbent dosages
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Sri Hilma Siregar AU - Wirdati Irma AU - Fitra Perdana AU - Jusnita AU - Olif Syahbella PY - 2019/12 DA - 2019/12 TI - Effect of Flouride Acid Activation of Natural Bentonite on Bleaching of Palm Oil BT - International Conference of CELSciTech 2019 - Science and Technology track (ICCELST-ST 2019) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccelst-st-19.2019.17 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccelst-st-19.2019.17 ID - Siregar2019/12 ER -