Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Current Issues in Education (ICCIE 2018)

The Influence of Authoritative Parenting Style on Adolescent's Autonomy

Authors
Errisa Dwi Siswandani, Telly Nancy Silloy, Muhammad Ali
Corresponding Author
Errisa Dwi Siswandani
Available Online June 2019.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.2991/iccie-18.2019.33How to use a DOI?
Keywords
authoritative parenting , autonomy , adolescent
Abstract
Most Javanese and Sundanese mothers still use the authoritarian parenting style which result in problems of adolescent autonomy. This study aims at evaluate the influence of parenting authoritative style on adolescent’s autonomy. An ex-post facto prospective research is conducted on 381 adolescents of Junior High School at Grade 9 in Ponorogo collected using a proportional cluster random sampling technique. The research instruments consist of the parents’ authoritative parenting scale (22 items) and the autonomy scale (45 items). Both scales were then examined using content analysis and alpha Cronbach to show the validity and reliability. A simple regression was conducted to analyze the data. The value of determination coefficient (r2 = 0.048) showed that 4.8% of the adolescent autonomy variance was explained by the Authoritative Parenting variables, while the rest of 95.2% was explained by the other variables not examined in this study. There was a significant influence of authoritative parenting styles on adolescent autonomy (p = 0.000 < 0.05). It can be concluded that authoritative parenting style may predict the adolescent autonomy
Open Access
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.

Download article (PDF)

Cite this article

TY  - CONF
AU  - Errisa Dwi Siswandani
AU  - Telly Nancy Silloy
AU  - Muhammad Ali
PY  - 2019/06
DA  - 2019/06
TI  - The Influence of Authoritative Parenting Style on Adolescent's Autonomy
BT  - Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Current Issues in Education (ICCIE 2018)
PB  - Atlantis Press
SP  - 183
EP  - 187
SN  - 2352-5398
UR  - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccie-18.2019.33
DO  - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccie-18.2019.33
ID  - Siswandani2019/06
ER  -