Translating Sound Symbolism in Noblesse Comic
- Mr Abdurrosyid, Dwi Santika
- Corresponding Author
- Mr Abdurrosyid
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.1How to use a DOI?
- translation method,sound symbolism,comic
- The study aims at identifying the methods used in translating sound symbolism from English into Bahasa Indonesia. The comic Noblesse by Son Jae Ho, is used as the object of analysis. Because the origin of the comic is from South Korea, this paper will also present Korean version (SL1) besides English (SL2) as a means of meaning consideration. Almost 80 data are extracted and nine methods (using adverbs, adjectives, verbs, nouns, idioms, onomatopoeia and mimetic in the target language, explicative phrases, combinations of words and omission or deletion) are identified with additional methods if the proposed methods cannot cove the cases. Each method is analyzed with some examples, considering its accurateness in rendering the meaning of the original expression. The findings are completed with the recommendation for each data, since there will be two versions of target language, the first one is translated by Mank.Id (Comic Online website [TL1]) and the second by the writers (TL2).
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Mr Abdurrosyid AU - Dwi Santika PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Translating Sound Symbolism in Noblesse Comic BT - International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.1 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.1 ID - Abdurrosyid2017/12 ER -