Volksraad: Malay Language (Indonesian) as a Means of Political Strategy of National Fraction
- Nazirwan Rohmadi, Muhammad Akhyar, Mr Warto
- Corresponding Author
- Nazirwan Rohmadi
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.25How to use a DOI?
- Volksraad; Malay Language; and National Faction
- History of Indonesia does not reveal many struggles made by the cooperative people in the legislative institution, namely Volksraad. Some members of the Volksraad since 1921 had used Indonesian language as a means of their political struggle. Historical method with discourse analysis approach was used in this research. The historical method has several stages, namely heuristic, critic, analysis, and historiography. Based on the research that had been done, it can be concluded that the use of Malay language as a means of political struggle has a goal to eliminate racial discrimination in the Volksraad. The Malay language used by the National Faction was as affiliation form to the Indonesian who represented by the National Fraction. It was a step to strengthen the political position of the National Faction itself and to show to the Dutch East Indies government that the group was a legitimate representative of the Indonesian. Therefore, the Indonesian language is a form of national identity and as a means to unite nation that must be maintained and should be introduced to the world. This research aims to introduce to the world that politics of Malay Language (Indonesian) have a role to play in realizing the independence of Indonesia.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Nazirwan Rohmadi AU - Muhammad Akhyar AU - Mr Warto PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Volksraad: Malay Language (Indonesian) as a Means of Political Strategy of National Fraction BT - International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.25 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.25 ID - Rohmadi2017/12 ER -