Barriers of Cross-Cultural Communication among Foreign Managers and Staff in Interacting with Malaysian Counterparts
- Ahmad Arifin, Shehda Abuisaac
- Corresponding Author
- Ahmad Arifin
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.52How to use a DOI?
- Barriers; cross-cultural; intercultural communication; language barrier; cultural barriers; expatriates.
- The main aim of this study is to investigate language and cultural barriers of intercultural communication among foreign managers and staff (expatriates) in interacting with their Malaysian counterparts at University of Malaya. Language and culture are fundamental barriers hindering the flow of cross-cultural communication between expatriates and their Malaysian counterparts. This study has used grounded theory research methodology equipped with deep qualitative analysis, and technique of data analysis in accordance with the semi-structure interviews. Data has been analyzed qualitatively in order for the researchers to provide deep analysis and understanding for the phenomenon under investigation. The study concluded that there are two main themes generated under the language barrier and culture barrier. English proficiency, body language, poor speaking and listening skills and indirect communication styles are due to linguistic barriers; while body language, miscommunication and ethnocentrism are due to cultural barriers. The results of the study would increase the organizational performance, equilibrium and academic success. Thus, the study may add insightful knowledge and findings to the existing literature.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ahmad Arifin AU - Shehda Abuisaac PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Barriers of Cross-Cultural Communication among Foreign Managers and Staff in Interacting with Malaysian Counterparts BT - International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.52 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.52 ID - Arifin2017/12 ER -