The Development Of Islamic Pawnbroking in Malaysia, Application and ITS Challenges
- Nor Fadilah bt Bahari, Shafina bt Fisal, Wan Shahdila Shah bt Shahar, Tajul Azli bin Shahadan
- Corresponding Author
- Nor Fadilah bt Bahari
Available Online May 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iceb-15.2015.34How to use a DOI?
- Islamic pawn broking, Ar rahnu, application, challenges
- Islamic Pawn Broking industry, known as Ar Rahnu, have since received tremendous support in the Malaysian market, especially amongst micro, small and medium entrepreneurs. The pioneer of Ar Rahnu in Malaysia was Muassasah Gadaian Islam Terengganu(MGIT) introduced in 1992. This paper aims to provide a review on the development of Ar Rahnu and discuss on the application of Ar Rahnu in Bank Rakyat Malaysia Berhad. The study employs the previous studies and engages an interview session with the staff of Ar Rahnu Bank Rakyat. In the early stage of Ar-Rahnu establishment, the demand was influenced by the Muslim societies to obtain financing based on the Shariah principle. Simultaneously, with the effort of the Malaysian government to promote the development of Islamic pawn broking industry, the demand for Ar-Rahnu services increase continuously. The industry has tremendously contributed to the Muslim economy because it plays an important role as a means of community service that fulfil the desperate needs of low income families. It also acts as a source of capital to small businesses that provides quick and easy source of financing as compared to loans from commercial banks. More importantly, this paper also attempts to highlight on the existing challenges of Ar Rahnu,with respect to its growth and development
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Nor Fadilah bt Bahari AU - Shafina bt Fisal AU - Wan Shahdila Shah bt Shahar AU - Tajul Azli bin Shahadan PY - 2015/05 DA - 2015/05 TI - The Development Of Islamic Pawnbroking in Malaysia, Application and ITS Challenges BT - International Conference on Economics and Banking (iceb-15) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5428 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iceb-15.2015.34 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iceb-15.2015.34 ID - Bahari2015/05 ER -