English Teaching Material Based on the Environmental Caring Character
- Suwandi, Senowarsito, Sophia B Th. Cicik
- Corresponding Author
Available Online January 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.8How to use a DOI?
- development, teaching material, character, environmental caring
- This research aims at developing an English teaching material based on the environmental caring character. It is assumed that learning English using the teaching material integrated with environmental caring character concepts and activities will enable the students to subconsciously develop their awareness to take care of the environment where they live. This research employs research and development (R&D) design with the participants of 306 students and 25 English teachers taken randomly from 10 Junior High Schools in Semarang City. The following are the steps taken during the study: 1) carrying out an observation to find out the availability of the English teaching materials used at schools. The researchers also interviewed some English teachers and students to know whether there are other compulsory books or supplementary books used by the teachers and students for the English teaching material; 2) carrying out the need analysis to determine whether the teachers and students need the development of English teaching materials based on the environment-caring character. For this purpose the researchers distributed a questionnaire to get the information on the teachers and students’ needs; and 3) developing English teaching materials based on the character of environmental caring. The result of the study shows that the availability of the compulsory English textbooks or supplementary ones used so far do not contain much on the values of environmental caring character. Therefore, they expect much on the development of the English textbooks covering the character values of environmental caring. Besides, respondents also expected to have a handy English textbook which is easily carried on hand or put in the bag.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Suwandi AU - Senowarsito AU - Sophia B Th. Cicik PY - 2019/01 DA - 2019/01 TI - English Teaching Material Based on the Environmental Caring Character BT - 1st International Conference on Education and Social Science Research (ICESRE 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.8 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.8 ID - 2019/01 ER -