The Development of Online OSCE Prototype for OSCE in School of Nursing: Lesson Learned
- Yanuar Primanda, Resti Sutrisno, Fahni Haris
- Corresponding Author
- Yanuar Primanda
Available Online October 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.47How to use a DOI?
- online, Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE), Nursing Skills
- Conventionally, paper is used for scoring Objectives Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). This paper-based system is not only time consuming, but also high in possibility of error, subjective, and not effective. The objective of this paper was to discuss the development of Online OSCE (ON-OSCE) application prototype for scoring OSCE. The ON-OSCE was developed by using prototype model consisting of three phases: (1) analysis of the drawbacks of paper-based assessment and the need to develop online-based scoring system, (2) design the ON-OSCE system, and (3) implementation, evaluation and feedback of ON-OSCE. The second phase was the most challenging one because it must accommodate the weakness of paper-based system and cover the accuracy of score. Before the ON-OSCE was implemented, the subject coordinator ensured the checklist that was used for measuring the skill competency thatshould be valid, reliable, and integrated the additional values of institution. The fixed checklist was entered into the system by administrator. After the checklist was ready, the administrator inserted the list of students who would be assessed. During the OSCE, the examiner observed the students and used the tablets or PC to access the score directly. While the examiner finished the scoring process, the result of the observed student would directly appear in the tablet or PC. The result for all of students could be downloaded and stored that can be used to score the overall student achievement in nursing skill laboratory work. The ON-OSCE will enable to reduce the time to score, improve the accuracy and objectivity, reduce paper use, and improve the examiners and students’ satisfaction. The ON-OSCE can be used in regular OSCE as long as the institutions have good internet connection, hardware (tablet or PC), valid skill checklists, and well-trained examiners.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yanuar Primanda AU - Resti Sutrisno AU - Fahni Haris PY - 2019/10 DA - 2019/10 TI - The Development of Online OSCE Prototype for OSCE in School of Nursing: Lesson Learned BT - Third International Conference on Sustainable Innovation 2019 – Health Science and Nursing (IcoSIHSN 2019) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.47 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.47 ID - Primanda2019/10 ER -