The Effectiveness of Proportional Material in Representing Place Values in The Mathematics Learning of 2nd Grade Elementary School Students
- Trimurtini, Evi Sofianingsih, Florentina Widihastrini, Sumilah
- Corresponding Author
Available Online February 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icpeopleunnes-18.2019.32How to use a DOI?
- Elementary School, Learning Mathematics, Place Values, Proportional Material
- Teaching mathematics in elementary school without using props is impossible. Mathematics learning requires the right teaching aids in each learning by paying attention to the material and cognitive development of students. Material props that are often used can be grouped into two, namely proportional and non-proportional teaching aids. According to Kennedy, et al (2008), block dienes are about proportional props. The proportional props show the value of the material size. When manipulative pieces representing one unit are determined, tens pieces are 10 times more than units and hundreds of pieces are 10 times that of tens. This study aims to test the effectiveness of block dienes on the learning outcomes of mathematics in material in grade II of the class II Gugus Kawi Elementary School Semarang. The study design used quasi experimental design with nonequivalent control group design. The population of this study was class II elementary school Gugus Kawi Semarang consisting of 6 elementary schools, taking samples using cluster random sampling. The results showed that the props block dienes of the experimental class I were more effective than the props of the experimental class II. The completeness of learning experiments I and II reached 75%. The results of the t test are t count (5.632)> t table (2.019) and the experimental class I has a value of N-Gain (0.63) higher than the experiment II (0.61). Based on these results it can be concluded that block dienes are more effective than the stands of mathematics learning outcomes of class II students .
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Trimurtini AU - Evi Sofianingsih AU - Florentina Widihastrini AU - Sumilah PY - 2019/02 DA - 2019/02 TI - The Effectiveness of Proportional Material in Representing Place Values in The Mathematics Learning of 2nd Grade Elementary School Students BT - International Conference Primary Education Research Pivotal Literature and Research UNNES 2018 (IC PEOPLE UNNES 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpeopleunnes-18.2019.32 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpeopleunnes-18.2019.32 ID - Trimurtini2019/02 ER -