Assessing the public recreational space in the urban park from the psychological and behavioral aspects, a case study of Quyuan Park, Hangzhou, China
- Bo Chen, Shan Lu, Shaoqing Hu
- Corresponding Author
- Bo Chen
Available Online April 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.12How to use a DOI?
- urban park, open space, facility, comprehensive assessment
- This paper presented results of an attempt to carry out a comprehensive assessment of public recreational space in an urban park, the Quyuan Park in Hangzhou city, China, from the psychological and behavioral aspects. Survey was done on the unit space to get the physical character, and enquiry was done to the users of the unit spaces. The enquiry was composed of an item of users’ cognitive assessment in terms of psychological aspect, and an item of users’ activity pattern in terms of carrying-out aspect. The following results were gained from the research: 1) Overall, the form of the unit space making up the parks existing in the urban area was found to be a user-oriented type, and its availability became an important assessment factor with this reflected. 2). It was found that the recreational value of the forest was low in comparison with that of the unit space of the facilities, the free open space and the waterfront of open space. 3). Arbors developed in the woodland, whose assessed value was relatively low, but the feelings of luxuriant forest whose forest floor was arranged and arbors were developed enhanced its value, and the tall herbaceous-forest preventing users from using the forest degraded its value remarkably. 4) The important task in the free open space included the setting of space size and topographic slant, the introduction of ground-cover vegetation and its maintenance. 5) The important task in the waterfront space included water behavior, embankment form and its material. 6) The important task in the forest included the planting design and management techniques relating to the composition of vegetation, such as the height and stand density of arbors, and cover type. 7) The unit space of the facilities becomes the secondary existence supporting the open space in the unit space. 8) Because the form of use was restricted according to the character of facilities regardless of the physical character in the selection of facilities, consideration of its usability become the important task.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Bo Chen AU - Shan Lu AU - Shaoqing Hu PY - 2013/04 DA - 2013/04 TI - Assessing the public recreational space in the urban park from the psychological and behavioral aspects, a case study of Quyuan Park, Hangzhou, China BT - 2nd International Conference On Systems Engineering and Modeling (ICSEM-13) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.12 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.12 ID - Chen2013/04 ER -