An Optimal Strategy of Balancing for LiFePO4 Battery in Battery Energy Storage System
- Bo Li, Daiming Yang, Jianzheng Liu, Man Chen, Zhigang Lu
- Corresponding Author
- Bo Li
Available Online April 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.68How to use a DOI?
- Balancing Strategy, Imbalance Analysis, LiFePO4 Battery, Battery Energy Storage System (BESS).
- Cell imbalance is one of the key factors that limit the capacity and power of battery energy storage systems (BESS), especially the large lithium-ion battery packs. To deal with the unbalancing problem, an effective balancing circuit is required, so is an optimal balancing strategy. In this paper, an optimal strategy for cells balancing has been presented. Contrary to the conventional balancing algorithms which base on instantaneous voltage or state-of-charge (SOC) no matter what the cause of imbalance is, the proposed strategy is targeted to different imbalance situations. Four cases of cell imbalance have been analyzed and the balancing effects of different algorithms are discussed. The simulation results show that the proposed strategy improves the performances of battery packs, including the usable capacity and maximum power.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Bo Li AU - Daiming Yang AU - Jianzheng Liu AU - Man Chen AU - Zhigang Lu PY - 2013/04 DA - 2013/04 TI - An Optimal Strategy of Balancing for LiFePO4 Battery in Battery Energy Storage System BT - 2nd International Conference On Systems Engineering and Modeling (ICSEM-13) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.68 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icsem.2013.68 ID - Li2013/04 ER -