Responsible software: A research agenda to help enterprises become more sustainable
- Sergio Espana, Sjaak Brinkkemper
- Corresponding Author
- Sergio Espana
Available Online August 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-16.2016.17How to use a DOI?
- Responsible software, responsible enterprise, enterprise modelling, information and communication technology, sustainability, socio-environmental auditing, research agenda, research roadmap.
- [BACKGROUND] Responsible enterprises are key to reaching a sustainable economy that cares about the people and the planet. Their spectrum is wide and it encompasses, among others, non-profit non-governmental organisations, social economy enterprises and companies with a committed corporate social responsibility. Responsible enterprises face many challenges,such as complying with governmental regulations, defining sustainable business models, having a positive social and environmental impact, and fostering ethical consumption. [OBJECTIVE] Our premise is that responsible enterprises need responsible software, which is software that assists enterprises in becoming increasingly responsible. We intend to discover the challenges that responsible enterprises face during the process of becoming more sustainable and to envision how enterprise modellers and software developers can use their competences and knowledge repositories to support enterprise missions. [METHODOLOGY] We have conducted a literature review and interviewed relevant stakeholders in the area in order to elicit a number of problematic phenomena related to enterprise responsibility. We then filtered the elicited issues to focus on those that are related to and can be tackled by applying software. [RESULTS] We have elaborated a roadmap for future research endeavours on responsible software. Interestingly, a core practice to be properly supported is socio-environmental auditing. [CONCLUSION] This research agenda will surely require close collaboration between academia and industry, as well as a close collaboration among experts from different disciplines. Let this paper be a call for action.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Sergio Espana AU - Sjaak Brinkkemper PY - 2016/08 DA - 2016/08 TI - Responsible software: A research agenda to help enterprises become more sustainable BT - ICT for Sustainability 2016 PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-16.2016.17 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-16.2016.17 ID - Espana2016/08 ER -