The Relationship between Morphology of Sella Turcica and Skeletal Class III Malocclusion in RSGMP FKG USU
- Fitri Wardani, Erna Sulistyawati, Muslim Yusuf
- Corresponding Author
- Fitri Wardani
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.28How to use a DOI?
- Morphology of sella turcica, bridging of sella turcica, class III skeletal malocclusion
- The sella turcica is one of the commonly used orthodontic landmarks in determining and diagnosing various problems of the facial skeleton.The pituitary gland is located in the sella turcica. Thus, various pathologies of this gland and developmental disorder of frontonasal and maxilla can change the morphology of sella turcica. The purpose of this study was to determine relationship between the morphology of sella turcica and skeletal Class III malocclusion in RSGMP FKG USU Medan, Indonesia. The samples in this study were 104 lateral cephalogram with aged range from 17-35 years old and were divided into two groups. First group consists of 52 lateral cephalogram with skeletal Class I malocclusion and the second group consists of 52 lateral cephalogram with skeletal Class III malocclusion. The morphology of sella turcica was analyzed based on theory Axelsson et al. Results showed that the sella turcica with normal morphology found greater in skeletal Class I malocclusion group (67,3 %) compared to the second group with skeletal Class III malocclusion (17,3 %). Bridging of the sella turcica was found greater in skeletal Class III malocclusion (30.8 % of the subjects) than the skeletal Class I malocclusion (13.5 %). As conclusion, there was a significant difference between morphology of sella turcica between the skeletal Class III malocclusion and skeletal Class I malocclusion. There was also relationship between morphology of sella turcica and skeletal Class III malocclusion.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Fitri Wardani AU - Erna Sulistyawati AU - Muslim Yusuf PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Relationship between Morphology of Sella Turcica and Skeletal Class III Malocclusion in RSGMP FKG USU BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.28 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.28 ID - Wardani2018/02 ER -