Antibacterial Activity of Gamat Sea Cucumber Extract (Stichopus Variegatus) from Mentawai Islands against Streptococcus Viridans
- Geistia Fad'ha, Utmi Arma, Busman
- Corresponding Author
- Geistia Fad'ha
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.29How to use a DOI?
- Antibacterial activity, stichopus variegatus, Streptococcus viridans
- Mentawai islands of West Sumatra province have a fairly extensive coastal areas and stored wealth of the sea has high economic potential, one of which is Teripang (Sea cucumbers). Besides having a high nutritional value sea cucumbers also have antibacterial activity against bacterial pathogens. In the field of dentistry, Streptococcus viridans is one of the main bacteria that cause dental health problems in oral cavity. This bacterium is normal flora in oral cavity that can cause dental caries. This study aims to determine antibacterial activity of extract of Sea Cucumber (Stichopus variegatus) of Mentawai Islands against Streptococcus viridans. Results of the study tested using ANOVA with a significance level of 5%. The study revealed an average diameter of inhibitory zone gamat extract of sea Cucumber (Stichopus Variegatus) of Mentawai Islands against Streptococcus viridans. The highest concentrations of 2.5% to the value of 8.45 mm in the medium category. P-value of the ANOVA test was <0.05 (p=0.012). Based on the results of the study concluded that there are antibacterial activity of extracts of Sea Cucumber Stichopus Variegatus of the Mentawai Islands against the bacteria Streptococcus viridans.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Geistia Fad'ha AU - Utmi Arma AU - Busman PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Antibacterial Activity of Gamat Sea Cucumber Extract (Stichopus Variegatus) from Mentawai Islands against Streptococcus Viridans BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.29 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.29 ID - Fad'ha2018/02 ER -