Effect of High Molecular Nano-Chitosan Addition on The Impact Strength of Heat Polymerized Polymethyl Methacrylate Denture Base Resin
- Ika Devi Adiana, Trimurni Abidin, Lasminda Syafiar
- Corresponding Author
- Ika Devi Adiana
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.34How to use a DOI?
- Denture base, high molecular nano-chitosan, impact strength
- Addition of reinforcing material to improve the mechanical properties of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate is being developed. One of them is by adding nano-chitosan gel. This study was aimed to investigate the effect of nano-chitosan gel addition on the impact strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture base resin. Thirty pieces sample of an acrylic plate in size of 50x10x4 mm were divided into 6 groups: with the addition of nano-chitosan gel at the concentration of 0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.00, 1.50% and control group. About 2 ml of nano-chitosan gel was added into the mixture of acrylic resin with a P:L ratio (23gr:10ml). Then, the mixture was inserted into a mold and pressed. The curing process was performed at 74oC for 120 minutes and then at 100oC for 60 minutes. Acrylic plates were removed from the mold and polished. The impact strength of acrylic resin was measured with Charpy tester and data were analyzed by one-way ANOVA. The result showed that there was a significant difference in impact strength after the addition of nano-chitosan gel in different percentages. The addition of nano-chitosan gel with the concentration of 1.00% had the best impact strength which is 7.91 x 10-3 J/mm2. In conclusion, the addition of nano-chitosan gel can be used to increase the impact strength of heat-polymerized polymethyl methacrylate denture base resin.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ika Devi Adiana AU - Trimurni Abidin AU - Lasminda Syafiar PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Effect of High Molecular Nano-Chitosan Addition on The Impact Strength of Heat Polymerized Polymethyl Methacrylate Denture Base Resin BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.34 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.34 ID - DeviAdiana2018/02 ER -