The Effectivity of Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus) Extract Against Porphyromonas Gingivalis ATCC® 33277™ (IN-VITRO)
- Minasari, Dheina Leina Nasution
- Corresponding Author
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.45How to use a DOI?
- Lemongrass, effectivity, MIC, MBC, Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC® 33277™
- Lemongrass extract contains citral and geranial that act as the antibacterial property. The mechanism of citral that acts as antibacterial agent is the "hydrophobicity" characteristic that able to rip apart the mitochondria's lipid layer of the membrane cell. The alcohol compound can also cause the denaturation and coagulates the Porphyromonas gingivalis' cell's protein that caused disruption in bacterial metabolism so that Porphyromonas gingivalis stopped growing and become lysis. Porphyromonas gingivalis is one of causes in tissue's destruction in periodontitis. Periodontitis is an inflammation that can cause damage to the tissue and alveolar bone resorption. The purpose of the study is to find out the MIC and MBC levels of the lemongrass extract in 5 different concentration levels (50%, 25%, 12,5%, 6,125%, and 3,125%) against Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC® 33277™. The method of this study is experimental laboratories with Posttest only control group design. The sample is the stamp of Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC® 33277™. The effectivity test used dilution method using Mueller Hinton Broth (MHB) and subculture method using Nutrient Agar. The result of the subculture test showed that for MIC level 25%, while for the MBC level is 50%. The result of Anova test showed that there's significance between the levels of the extract concentration and bacterial colonies. The conclusion of this study is 25% of the concentration levels of extract are already effective enough against Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC® 33277™. It is true that lemongrass has effectiveness in Porphyromonas gingivalis ATCC® 33277™.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Minasari AU - Dheina Leina Nasution PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Effectivity of Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus) Extract Against Porphyromonas Gingivalis ATCC® 33277™ (IN-VITRO) BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.45 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.45 ID - Minasari2018/02 ER -