The Difference Number of Bacterial Colonies between Smokers and Non-smokers Gingivitis Patients in Periodontics Department at USU Dental Hospital
- Regina Carsa Bagin Apriani, Pitu Wulandari, Martina Amalia
- Corresponding Author
- Regina Carsa Bagin Apriani
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.64How to use a DOI?
- Gingivitis, plaque, bacteria, periodontal, smokers
- Periodontal disease is a chronic inflammation disease which caused by bacteria in the periodontal tissues. The predisposing factors are smoking, stress and alcohol consumption. Smoking can deteriorate the dental health and increase the risk of gingivitis. Smoking may causes various diseases in oral cavities, such as stein formation on tooth surfaces. The tar, which settled on the teeth, will cause aesthetic problem and makes the teeth surfaces become rough. Thus it could easily cause plaque accumulation. Plaque-induced Gingivitis was related to the accumulation of bacterial plaque. The aim of this study was to analyze the difference number of bacterial colonies between smoker and non-smokers gingivitis patients in periodontics department at USU Dental Hospital. This research was a cross-sectional analytic study that uses the questionnaire and clinical examination such as gingival index, plaque control record and examination of the number of bacterial colonies. The examination was performed to 70 gingivitis patients, 35 who are smokers and 35 who are non-smokers. Based on non-parametric Mann-Whitney test result, there was significant difference (p <0.05) between the number of bacterial colonies on smokers and non-smokers gingivitis patients (p = 0.001) and a significant difference (p <0.005) between the accumulation of plaque in smokers and non-smokers gingivitis patients (p = 0.008). As a conclusion, there were differences in the number of colonies of bacteria between smokers and non-smokers gingivitis patients and differences of plaque accumulation between smokers and non-smokers gingivitis patients.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Regina Carsa Bagin Apriani AU - Pitu Wulandari AU - Martina Amalia PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Difference Number of Bacterial Colonies between Smokers and Non-smokers Gingivitis Patients in Periodontics Department at USU Dental Hospital BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.64 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.64 ID - CarsaBaginApriani2018/02 ER -