The Association between Number of Tooth Loss, Tooth Loss Quadrants, and Occlusal Support with Temporomandibular Disorders in Partially Edentulous Patients
- Ricca Chairunnisa, Ribka Julia Sihombing
- Corresponding Author
- Ricca Chairunnisa
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.65How to use a DOI?
- Partially edentulous, tooth loss, occlusal support, temporomandibular disorder
- Loss of one or several teeth can disturb the balance of the composition of the teeth in the arch that causes imbalance occlusion of teeth so that the teeth will receive a larger load. Stresses imposed by the structure of the temporomandibular joint is imbalance and would interfere with the function of the temporomandibular joint. The etiology of temporomandibular disorder is multifactorial so that the relationship between tooth loss with temporomandibular disorders is a matter of debate in the field of dentistry. The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship between tooth loss and the signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders which in terms of the number of tooth loss, the number of tooth loss quadrants, and the amount of occlusal support based on Eichner Index classification. The type of this study is descriptive analytic with cross-sectional design. The study was done in RSGM FKG USU, conducted through direct interviews using questionnaires and clinical examination on 100 subjects aged over 18 years with partial tooth loss. The results showed that the prevalence of tooth loss in part with temporomandibular disorder based on questionnaire is 59% while based on clinical examination is 86%. There is significant correlation between the number of tooth loss quadrants with temporomandibular disorder, while the number of tooth loss itself and the occlusal support are not associate with temporomandibular disorder. But it was found that there is an increased incidence of temporomandibular disorders along with an increase in the number of tooth loss.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ricca Chairunnisa AU - Ribka Julia Sihombing PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Association between Number of Tooth Loss, Tooth Loss Quadrants, and Occlusal Support with Temporomandibular Disorders in Partially Edentulous Patients BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.65 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.65 ID - Chairunnisa2018/02 ER -