The Effect of Jamblang (Syzygium Cumini (L) Skeels) Leaves Ethanolic Extract on the Adhesion of Streptococcus Mutans to Hydroxyapatite
- Suzanna Sungkar, Dewi Agustina, Al Supartinah, Tetiana Haniastuti
- Corresponding Author
- Suzanna Sungkar
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.74How to use a DOI?
- Extract Jamblang's leaves, streptococcus mutans, adhesion
- Streptococcus mutans plays an important role in the pathogenesis of caries. This bacteria has virulence properties involve in the formation of biolm on tooth surface. Surface protein antigen peptide (SpaP) is one of the virulence properties of S. mutans that play role in adhesion of S. mutans to the tooth structure (hydroxyapatite). Due to its antibacterial effect, Jamblang leaves may be used as an agent to reduce the adhesion S. mutans to the tooth surface. This study proposed to examined effects of Jamblang leaves ethanolic extract on the adhesion of S. mutans to hydroxyapatite (HA). Streptococcus mutans was obtained by isolating the bacteria from carious lesion of pediatric patient. Identification of S. mutans was done by observe the characteristic of colony, carbohidrate fermentation test and biochemical test. Adhesion test was done by soaking blocks of HA in the mucine. The HA was immersed in bacterial culture that has been mixed with extract concentration of 15%, 20%, and 22.5%. Bacterial adhesion to the HA was vortexed for 60 seconds, spread on Muller Hinton Agar, and incubated for 48 hours. Colonies of S. mutans were counted. Aquadest was used as a negative control. Kruskall-Wallis test showed significant differences (p<0.05) among the groups, indicating that Jamblang leaves ethanolic extract decreased the adhesion of S.mutans to HA. The higher concentrations of the extract, the less number of S.mutans colonies adhered to HA. In conclusion, Jamblang leaves ethanolic extract reduces adhesion of S. mutans to HA.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Suzanna Sungkar AU - Dewi Agustina AU - Al Supartinah AU - Tetiana Haniastuti PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Effect of Jamblang (Syzygium Cumini (L) Skeels) Leaves Ethanolic Extract on the Adhesion of Streptococcus Mutans to Hydroxyapatite BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.74 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.74 ID - Sungkar2018/02 ER -