Comparison of Caries Status and Saliva Condition (pH, Buffer Capacity, Flow Rate, and Volume) among Down Syndrome and Normal Children aged 6-18 Years Old in SLB C Medan Helvetia and Medan Timur District
- Zulfi Amalia Bachtiar, Siti Salmiah, Luthfiani, Emmenuelle Clarisa
- Corresponding Author
- Zulfi Amalia Bachtiar
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.86How to use a DOI?
- Caries, Down syndrome, salivary flow rate
- Down Syndrome (DS) is type of mental disability caused by genetic disorder in chromosome 21. DS causes inability to maintain oral hygiene thus dental caries are commonly found in children with DS. Purpose of this research is to study the difference between caries experience and saliva condition and determine the relationship between caries experience with saliva condition in DS and normal children aged 6-18 years old in Medan Helvetia and Medan Timur district. This research was conducted in observational analytic manner with cross sectional design. Subjects were 30 DS and 30 normal children aged 6-18 years old in Medan Helvetia and Medan Timur district. Data collection was done using clinical examination based on deft/DMFT index by WHO and saliva examination using GC Saliva Check Buffer Kit. Statistical analysis showed that there were no significant differences in deft between DS and normal children, and there was a significant difference in DMFT in DS and normal children. Statistical analysis also showed significant difference in saliva condition (pH, buffer capacity, flow rate, and volume), and there was significant relationship between caries experience (deft/DMFT) with saliva condition in DS and normal children aged 6-18 years old in Medan Helvetia and Medan Timur district. Deft caries experience in DS children is almost similar as in normal children, while DMFT caries experience in DS children is higher than normal. Result showed that saliva condition in DS is lower than in normal children. Saliva condition can affect caries experience in DS and normal children.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Zulfi Amalia Bachtiar AU - Siti Salmiah AU - Luthfiani AU - Emmenuelle Clarisa PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Comparison of Caries Status and Saliva Condition (pH, Buffer Capacity, Flow Rate, and Volume) among Down Syndrome and Normal Children aged 6-18 Years Old in SLB C Medan Helvetia and Medan Timur District BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.86 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.86 ID - AmaliaBachtiar2018/02 ER -