Evaluation of Nostril Symmetry Post-Cronin Labioplasty and Tajima Rhinoplasty in Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Cases
- Teuku Nolly Iskandar, Muhammad Syafrudin Hak, Lilies Dwi Sulistyani, Pradono Suhardi
- Corresponding Author
- Teuku Nolly Iskandar
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.28How to use a DOI?
- cronin method labioplasty, tajima method rhinoplasty, anthropometry, nostril symmetry
- Nasal deformity in cleft lip patients is caused by nasal septum deviation, alar car-tilage distortion, and unparalleled maxillar and alveolar bones due to a widening of the palate. Additional rhinoplasty when using the labioplasty method is a solu-tion to achieving nostril symmetry in unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) pa-tients. This study aims to compare nostril size and symmetry between the cleft and noncleft sides following Cronin method labioplasty in combination with Ta-jima method rhinoplasty. Methods: Nostril symmetry was evaluated according to the anthropometry scale based on profile photographs using nostril height, nostril width, and quarter-medial nostril height, and the nostril width in 35 UCLP patients following labioplasty in combination with Cronin and Tajima rhinoplasty meth-ods. Results: The results showed significant differences (p < 0.05) in width and quarter-medial nostril height. In contrast, height and nostril width were not signifi-cantly different p > 0.05. This shows that there is no significant difference in height and nostril width between the cleft and noncleft sides in patients post-Cronin method labioplasty and Tajima method rhinoplasty. In contrast, there is a significant difference in the width and quarter-medial nostril height. Conclusions: There is no significant difference in the height and nostril width post-Cronin method labioplasty and Tajima method rhinoplasty in UCLP patients. However, there is a significant difference in the width and quarter-medial nostril height be-tween the cleft and noncleft sides.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Teuku Nolly Iskandar AU - Muhammad Syafrudin Hak AU - Lilies Dwi Sulistyani AU - Pradono Suhardi PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Evaluation of Nostril Symmetry Post-Cronin Labioplasty and Tajima Rhinoplasty in Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate Cases BT - 11th International Dentistry Scientific Meeting (IDSM 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.28 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idsm-17.2018.28 ID - Iskandar2018/05 ER -