Level of Independence Towards Self-Esteem in The Elderly
- Elida Ulfiana, Mohammad Saelindra, Setho Hadi Suyatmana
- Corresponding Author
- Elida Ulfiana
Available Online April 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.36How to use a DOI?
- Level of Independence, Activities Daily Living, Self Esteem, Elderly
- The aging process can cause mental changes, both psychosocial and physical conditions can decrease the level of independence in activities daily living. One of the consequences is a deterioration in self-esteem that has the feeling useless and worthless. The purpose of this study was to analyze the correlation between level of independence to self-esteem in the elderly. This study used descriptive correlational with cross-sectional approach and using proportional sampling. Total population were 143 elderly people and obtained 71 samples who determined by inclusion criteria. The Data collected by questionnaire and observation then analyzed by Spearman's Rho with significant level test (p<0,05). The independent variable was level of independence and dependent variables was self-esteem. The result showed that there was correlation between level of independence with self-esteem on elderly (p=0,568). The elderly could perform activities daily living independently cause an impact on self-esteem. The result of independent elderly can have high self-esteem, high levels of confidence and can socialize with their environment. The Elderly that do the activities daily living independently can increase self-esteem. The result showed that elderly people always think positive, accept the changes that happened and can socialize with their surroundings. Further research could develop the results of this study in elderly with male gender, factors that affects self esteem in their body both in nursing home and in the community.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Elida Ulfiana AU - Mohammad Saelindra AU - Setho Hadi Suyatmana PY - 2017/04 DA - 2017/04 TI - Level of Independence Towards Self-Esteem in The Elderly BT - 8th International Nursing Conference on Education, Practice and Research Development in Nursing (INC 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.36 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.36 ID - Ulfiana2017/04 ER -