Biomechanical Analysis of Achilles Tendon Stretch And Plantar Fascia Stretch In Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
- Jie Hu, Dong-Mei Wang, Wen-Ting Yang, Qin-Yang Guo, Guang-Lin Shi
- Corresponding Author
- Jie Hu
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.9How to use a DOI?
- Achilles Stretch, Plantar Stretch, Plantar Fasciitis, Biomechanics, Simulation.
- This paper aims to simulate two stretching methods adopted in plantar fasciitis treatment in MSC.ADAMS, Achilles tendon stretch and plantar fascia stretch. Clinical evidence has been accumulated that stretching is effective in relieving heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis. While plantar fascia stretching is conceived to be more effective than the traditional Achilles tendon stretch, the reason leading to this difference has not been identified yet. A multi-segment foot model consisted of ligaments, plantar fascia, plantar soft tissue was constructed and then validated by comparing the ground reaction forces and joint rotation angles obtained in a gait simulation with previous research results. The model was then applied in finding out the root cause in these two stretching methods by analysing the deformation of plantar fascia. Achilles tendon stretch was performed to collect kinematic data of tibia using NDI, which was used to drive the simulation. In the plantar fascia stretch, a rotational plate was placed beneath the fore-foot and had a range of motion from 0ø to 20ø. The forefoot was supported and lifted to simulate the stretching process. Deformation of the plantar fascia under two stretching methods were compared. The result shows that average deformation in Achilles tendon is smaller than that of plantar fascia stretch which may cause the therapeutic difference between these two stretch methods. This analysis method could also be applied in refining physical therapy treatment.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Jie Hu AU - Dong-Mei Wang AU - Wen-Ting Yang AU - Qin-Yang Guo AU - Guang-Lin Shi PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Biomechanical Analysis of Achilles Tendon Stretch And Plantar Fascia Stretch In Plantar Fasciitis Treatment BT - 3rd Annual International Conference on Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering (MME 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5401 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.9 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.9 ID - Hu2016/12 ER -