Numerical Study of Low Reynolds Number Flapping Wing
- Da-Min Cao, Hong-Yan Lv, Lu-Hui Yang
- Corresponding Author
- Da-Min Cao
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.131How to use a DOI?
- Flapping wing, Hovering insect, Low Reynolds, Unsteady lift mechanism.
- The influence of different flapping wing models on the aerodynamic performance of a hovering insect is numerically investigated. Some simplified models are compared with the aerodynamic performance of the hovering fruit fly wing. With the increase in the complexity, two different models are considered and dynamically scaled at Low Reynolds number (about 110). The three-dimensional movement of the fruit fly hovering flapping wing was simplified to the two-dimensional motion. The numerical results capture the stall delay effect, and the fast rotation force effect of the unsteady lift mechanism. The lift and drag coefficient curves by two kinds of flapping model are compared.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Da-Min Cao AU - Hong-Yan Lv AU - Lu-Hui Yang PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Numerical Study of Low Reynolds Number Flapping Wing BT - 3rd Annual International Conference on Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering (MME 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5401 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.131 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/mme-16.2017.131 ID - Cao2016/12 ER -