Financial Aid and Higher Education Dropout in Colombia
- Lesly Katheryne Duran Cabieles, Jaime Andres Sarmiento Espinel, Adriana Carolina Silva Arias
- Corresponding Author
- Lesly Katheryne Duran Cabieles
Available Online August 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/rais-18.2018.5How to use a DOI?
- dropout, duration analysis, financial aid, higher education
- One of the reasons for a government to support an education system is its role in productivity growth of its citizens and nation’s economic development. Although in some less-developed countries, such as Colombia, there is low levels of non-participation in primary and secondary education, there are high levels of dropout in higher education. The Colombian educational loan system experienced some changes to comply the 2010 National Agreement to Reduce Dropout. This paper analyzes the behavior of higher education dropout and its relation with financial aid before and after this Agreement. By means of a discrete-time logit model and a difference-in-differences approach, there is evidence that loans conditions after the National Agreement would not have achieved its goal.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Lesly Katheryne Duran Cabieles AU - Jaime Andres Sarmiento Espinel AU - Adriana Carolina Silva Arias PY - 2018/08 DA - 2018/08 TI - Financial Aid and Higher Education Dropout in Colombia BT - 10th International RAIS Conference on Social Sciences and Humanities (RAIS 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/rais-18.2018.5 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/rais-18.2018.5 ID - DuranCabieles2018/08 ER -