Volume 1, Issue 4, December 2008, Pages 329 - 339
Designing Structural Parameters of Nonwovens Using Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks
- Philippe Vroman, Ludovic Koehl, Xianyi Zeng, Ting Chen
- Corresponding Author
- Philippe Vroman
Available Online 1 December 2008.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.5How to use a DOI?
- nonwoven material structures, physical properties, fuzzy-neural design support system, parameter selection
- In this paper, a computer aided system for designing nonwoven materials is presented. As an original approach in the field of nonwoven research, both quality measurement analysis and human knowledge processing are integrated in the system. It allows designers to optimize the structure of nonwoven materials with limited trials according to the functional properties given in customers’ specifications. This system aims at modeling the relation between functional or physical properties (outputs) and structural parameters (inputs) of nonwoven products. In order to reduce the complexity of the system, a procedure is proposed for selecting the most relevant input variables based on a ranking criterion, which takes into account both the expertise of manufacturers and the measured data. In this criterion, fuzzy logic is used to establish a good compromise or a fusion between these two uncertain and incomplete information sources. Then, two models are set up by utilizing multilayer feed forward neural networks, which take into account the generality and the specificity of the product families respectively. The presented models have been validated with the use of experimental data concerning several families of nonwoven products.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Philippe Vroman AU - Ludovic Koehl AU - Xianyi Zeng AU - Ting Chen PY - 2008 DA - 2008/12 TI - Designing Structural Parameters of Nonwovens Using Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 329 EP - 339 VL - 1 IS - 4 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.5 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijcis.2008.1.4.5 ID - Vroman2008 ER -