Volume 7, Issue 4, August 2014, Pages 686 - 695
Construction of fuzzy edge image using Interval Type II fuzzy set
- Tamalika Chaira, A. K. Ray
- Corresponding Author
- Tamalika Chaira
Available Online 1 August 2014.
- https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.862356How to use a DOI?
- Type II fuzzy set, fuzzy T norm, fuzzy T co norm, fuzzy divergence, medical image
- In this paper, a novel method to generate fuzzy edges in medical images using the Type II fuzzy set theory is presented. Medical images are normally poorly illuminated and many edges are not visible properly, so construction of fuzzy edge image is a difficult task. Fuzzy edges are not the binary edges but it signifies the change in intensity levels of the image. The method is based on computation of minimum and maximum values of the intensity levels of the image in a 3x3 pixel neighborhood to form two image matrices with maximum and minimum values. For better representation of uncertainty, Type II fuzzy set is applied to compute upper and lower membership levels of each image matrix. Divergence is computed between the two levels of the maximum value image matrix and also for the minimum value image matrix. Finally, difference between the divergence matrices produces an edge image. Experiment has been performed on several poorly illuminated medical images and the edges are observed to better when compared with the existing edge methods.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Tamalika Chaira AU - A. K. Ray PY - 2014 DA - 2014/08 TI - Construction of fuzzy edge image using Interval Type II fuzzy set JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 686 EP - 695 VL - 7 IS - 4 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.862356 DO - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.862356 ID - Chaira2014 ER -