Volume 7, Issue sup2, July 2014, Pages 3 - 14
A joint optimization strategy for scale-based product family positioning
- Yangjian Ji, Tianyin Tang, Chunyang Yu, Guoning Qi
- Corresponding Author
- Yangjian Ji
Available online July 2014.
- https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2014.947087How to use a DOI?
- Scale-based product family, product portfolio, product family positioning, joint optimization
- With the development of modern technologies and global manufacturing, it becomes more difficult for companies to distinguish themselves from their competitors. In order to keep their competitive advantages, companies must properly position their product families by offering a right product portfolio to each target market. To evaluate competitive advantages for a scale-based product family, this paper takes product family competitive advantage (PFCA) as a measure metric which is consisted of customer choice probability, sales, and profit. Meanwhile, to keep lower manufacturing costs, a commonality index of scale-based product family is proposed based on product design technology parameters in a product family. A multi-objective joint optimization model that balances the competitive advantages and the commonality is proposed. Based on a case study of motor product family positioning, Pareto frontier solutions are generated by genetic algorithm, and the results show that the joint optimization model excels in supporting product family positioning.
- © The authors.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Ji, Yangjian AU - Tang, Tianyin AU - Yu, Chunyang AU - Qi, Guoning DA - 2014/07/01 TI - A joint optimization strategy for scale-based product family positioning JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 3 EP - 14 VL - 7 IS - sup2 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2014.947087 DO - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2014.947087 ID - Ji2014 ER -