Competence Profile of Indonesian Food Chefs in Malang Based on Educational Background
- Rina Mariana, Nunung Nurjanah, Ahmad Dardiri
- Corresponding Author
- Rina Mariana
Available Online July 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.66How to use a DOI?
- chef, competence, education
- This study aimed to identify the professional competence of chefs in traditional Indonesian restaurants in Malang city. The study was conducted in two stages involving 12 selected restaurants. The first stage was identifying the profile of chefs, while the second stage consisted of in-depth interviews and FGD with some Indonesian restaurant owners, head chefs, and the administrators of Indonesian Chef Association (ICA) in Malang. Results showed that only 36.7% chefs (65 out of 177) have some background in culinary education (culinary vocational high school graduates). The rests, 63.3%, were chefs without any background in culinary education (nonlinear), comprising graduates of junior high schools, senior high schools, and vocational high schools majoring in computer, mechanical engineering, commerce, and others. Interviews and FGDs with the research participants suggest that chefs’ characters (creativity, responsibility, passion, and determination) and work experience are considered more important than educational background. The findings are somewhat different from some theories related to the importance of formal and non-formal education in the development of the culinary sector.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Rina Mariana AU - Nunung Nurjanah AU - Ahmad Dardiri PY - 2018/07 DA - 2018/07 TI - Competence Profile of Indonesian Food Chefs in Malang Based on Educational Background BT - International Conference on Indonesian Technical Vocational Education and Association (APTEKINDO 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.66 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/aptekindo-18.2018.66 ID - Mariana2018/07 ER -