Sleep Spindle Detection Based on Complex Demodulation
- Jiabin Li, Bei Wang, Yu Zhang
- Corresponding Author
- Jiabin Li
Available Online July 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.12How to use a DOI?
- Sleep spindle, Complex demodulation, Sleep stage
- In this paper, we investigated the characteristic waveform of sleep spindle by using complex demodulation method (CDM). The ultimate purpose is to develop the automatic sleep spindle detection algorithm for overnight sleep data inspection. The main method includes four procedures. Firstly, the influences of disturbance of alpha waves, eye movement and muscle artifacts are analyzed and eliminated. Secondly, CDM is adopted to obtain the changing amplitude for sleep spindles. After CDM analysis, a set of parameters are calculated to find the candidate waveforms. Finally, the judgments of sleep spindle are made according to the defined thresholds of parameters. The overnight sleep recordings of three subjects were analyzed. Compared with the visual inspection of sleep stages by clinician, the obtained results showed that the detected sleep spindle were mostly distributed at sleep stage 2 and deep sleep stages. It is testified that CDM can well depict the instantaneous character of sleep spindle. The presented method can be an assistant tool for sleep spindle detection and sleep stage determination.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Jiabin Li AU - Bei Wang AU - Yu Zhang PY - 2016/07 DA - 2016/07 TI - Sleep Spindle Detection Based on Complex Demodulation BT - International Conference on Biomedical and Biological Engineering PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5747 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.12 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.12 ID - Li2016/07 ER -