Effects of Nano-selenium on Blood Biochemistry, Liver Antioxidant Activity and GPx-1 mRNA Expression in Rabbits
- Shunyi Qin, Fu Chen, Fanghong Zhao, Tianming Jin, Jifei Ma
- Corresponding Author
- Shunyi Qin
Available Online July 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.28How to use a DOI?
- Nano-selenium, Rabbit, Blood biochemistry, Antioxidant activity, glutathione peroxidase
- The experiment was conducted to compare the effect of nano-selenium and sodium selenite on blood biochemistry, liver antioxidant activity and GPx-1 mRNA expression in rabbit. Twenty-four 10-week-old New Zealand rabbits, female and male in half, were randomly divided into three groups. Rabbits in Group 1 were fed a basal diet as control, while rabbits in Groups 2 and 3 were fed the basal diet supplemented with 0.3 mg/kg selenium as sodium selenite or nano-selenium, respectively. The experiment lasted for 42 days. Blood biochemical values, glutathione peroxidase (GPx) activity, total antioxidant capacity (T-AOC), malondialdehyde (MDA) content and glutathione peroxidase (GPx-1) mRNA expression in liver were determined at experiment termination. The results showed that blood biochemistry of rabbits, including concentrations of cholesterin, triglyceride, total protein, glucose, alanine amino transferase and aspartate amino transferase were not significantly affected by supplementation of nano-selenium or sodium selenite. Liver GPx and T-AOC activities in nano-selenium group and sodium selenite group were significantly higher or higher than those in control group (P0.05). In conclusion, nano-selenium supplementation could significantly enhance liver antioxidant activity and GPx-1 mRNA expression in rabbits, it was more available than sodium selenite in increasing liver antioxidant activity in rabbits.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Shunyi Qin AU - Fu Chen AU - Fanghong Zhao AU - Tianming Jin AU - Jifei Ma PY - 2016/07 DA - 2016/07 TI - Effects of Nano-selenium on Blood Biochemistry, Liver Antioxidant Activity and GPx-1 mRNA Expression in Rabbits BT - International Conference on Biomedical and Biological Engineering PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5747 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.28 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/bbe-16.2016.28 ID - Qin2016/07 ER -