Assessment of Social Vulnerability to Climate Change and Its Disaster Prevention in Pingtung County
- Lee Meng-Tsung, Ting Kuo-Huan, Lin Kun-Lung, Liu Wen-Hong, Jhan Hao-Tang
- Corresponding Author
- Lee Meng-Tsung
Available Online August 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.21How to use a DOI?
- climate change; social vulnerability assessment; indicator.
- Taiwan surrounded by water and has abundant and diversified marine environment and resources, so that Taiwanese life closely depends on marine and coast. However, with the increase of population and the change of economic structure led to the pressures on the coastal zone increase sharply in recent years. Meanwhile, owing to lack of comprehensive coastal development planning and the negative impact of climate change, the coastal environment and ecosystem have been affected seriously. Moreover, the impacts of climate change on the coastal zone not only affect the marine environment, ecology, and community of livelihood in marine activities but also have a strong effect for the sustainable development of national economics. Therefore, it is essential to develop social vulnerability assessment and establish adaptation measures in order to strengthen climate change adaptive ability. This study had carried out the social vulnerability assessment in Pingtung County to understand the exposure, self-protection capacity, and resilience to climate change in township level. The result shows that Jiadong Township (3.78), Checheng Township (3.67) and Manzhou Township (2.77) are the most vulnerable townships in Pingtung County due to the high exposure value (7.03, 6.74, 6.12). The results show the self-protection capability is the main factor of social vulnerability to disaster and the second is exposure. The effect of resilience is limited due to the value of different townships are similar. Therefore, Taiwanese government needs to improve and strengthen local disaster prevention system and self-protection capability, for example, informational system, mobilization system and inter-organization cooperation.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Lee Meng-Tsung AU - Ting Kuo-Huan AU - Lin Kun-Lung AU - Liu Wen-Hong AU - Jhan Hao-Tang PY - 2015/08 DA - 2015/08 TI - Assessment of Social Vulnerability to Climate Change and Its Disaster Prevention in Pingtung County BT - 2015 AASRI International Conference on Circuits and Systems (CAS 2015) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.21 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/cas-15.2015.21 ID - Meng-Tsung2015/08 ER -