An Energy-Efficient Data Placement Algorithm and Node Scheduling Strategies in Cloud Computing Systems
- Yanwen Xiao, Jinbao Wang, Yaping Li, Hong Gao
- Corresponding Author
- Yanwen Xiao
Available Online July 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.15How to use a DOI?
- cloud computing; data placement algorithm; node-scheduling strategies; energy efficiency
- With the rise of the cloud computing, saving energy consumed by cloud systems has become a tricky issue nowadays. How to place data efficiently and schedule the nodes effectively in a cloud platform are very important issues from the view of the energy-saving. However, the state-of-the-art node-scheduling strategies can’t save large amount of energy for the cloud computing platforms significantly. This paper proposes a heuristic data placement algorithm and two node scheduling strategies for cloud platforms to save energy with tasks guaranteed. The Cloudsim is employed to simulate a private cloud system. Energy-saving is achieved by turning on minimum nodes to cover maximum data blocks. The problem of covering data block with computing nodes is abstracted as a set cover problem, and a greedy algorithm is utilized to solve this problem. This approach is practical to any cloud computing infrastructure. The designed experiment verifies the efficiency of the data placement algorithm and node scheduling strategies proposed in this paper.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yanwen Xiao AU - Jinbao Wang AU - Yaping Li AU - Hong Gao PY - 2013/07 DA - 2013/07 TI - An Energy-Efficient Data Placement Algorithm and Node Scheduling Strategies in Cloud Computing Systems BT - 2nd International Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE 2013) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.15 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/cse.2013.15 ID - Xiao2013/07 ER -