Using mobile devices to leverage student access to collaboratively-generated resources: A case of WhatsApp instant messaging at a South African University
- Patient Rambe, Crispen Chipunza
- Corresponding Author
- Patient Rambe
Available Online August 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.66How to use a DOI?
- WhatsApp, MIM, collectively-generated resources, dialogic interactions
- WhatsApp instant messaging has poten-tial to bridge information divides between educators and students. Its capacity to create personalised environments was harnessed to share collectively generated educational resources among previously disadvantaged students (PDS) students at a South African university. Data analysis combined mobile instant messaging-mediated (WhatsApp) interactions among students and educators and student evaluations of WhatsApp’s value using blogs. Results suggest that students conceived WhatsApp as a lever for bridging access to peer-generated resources, heightening on-task behaviour and promoting meaningful context-free learning.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Patient Rambe AU - Crispen Chipunza PY - 2013/08 DA - 2013/08 TI - Using mobile devices to leverage student access to collaboratively-generated resources: A case of WhatsApp instant messaging at a South African University BT - 2013 International Conference on Advanced ICT and Education (ICAICTE-13) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.66 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.66 ID - Rambe2013/08 ER -