From Traditional to Applied:A Case Study in Industrial Engineering Curriculum
- Hani Shafeek, Mohammed Aman, Muhammad Marsudi
- Corresponding Author
- Hani Shafeek
Available Online August 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.92How to use a DOI?
- Universities, Curriculum, Traditional industrial engineering, Applied industrial engineering
- Applied Industrial Engineering is the application of management and technical skills for the design of new products, integration of production and/or information systems and the improvement of manufacturing processes. The purpose of this case study is to present the results of an initial research study conducted to identify the desired professional characteristics of an industrial engineer with an undergraduate degree and the emerging topic areas that should be incorporated into the curriculum to prepare industrial engineering (IE) graduates for the future workforce. Various principal findings and recommendations for applied industrial engineering coursework have been put together. A two-pronged approach was taken which included a method of benchmarking by comparing the applied industrial engineering curricula of various universities and an industry survey to identify job market requirements. This methodology produced an analysis of the changing nature of industrial engineering from learning to practical education. Curriculum studies for engineering is a relatively unexplored area of research in the Middle East, much less for applied industrial engineering. This paper examines the key economic industrial sectors that are rapidly developing and their growing demands for qualified industrial engineers and how the design of an applied industrial program can help satisfy industry needs whilst reducing the gap between the classroom and the real world.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Hani Shafeek AU - Mohammed Aman AU - Muhammad Marsudi PY - 2013/08 DA - 2013/08 TI - From Traditional to Applied:A Case Study in Industrial Engineering Curriculum BT - 2013 International Conference on Advanced ICT and Education (ICAICTE-13) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.92 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaicte.2013.92 ID - Shafeek2013/08 ER -