Directivity Enhancement of Miniaturized Directional Coupler using Defected Ground Structure
- P. Bhakhar, V. Dwivedi, P. Prajapati
- Corresponding Author
- P. Bhakhar
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.101How to use a DOI?
- Coupler, DGS, Directivity
- This research paper investigates about the novel approach in the design and analysis of Couplers operating at 5 GHz, which finds its application for next generation communication systems. The concept of Defected Ground Structure (DGS) in the design of planar coupler is useful for next generation communication systems. The Pla-nar Coupler with an embedded DGS structure is designed for an operating frequency 5 GHz. A convention al-low profile planar coupler with an embedded a head dumbbell shaped DGS structure operating at 5 GHz was designed independently and integrated embedded with resonating DGS. The analysis is carried out by varying the dimensions of the DGS. Various electrical performance parameters like transmission coefficient, return loss, coupling factor and isolation have been analytically observed and reproduced for aspirant researchers and de-signers. The integration of this electromagnetically coupled DGS resulted into significant volumetric reduction of the directional coupler. Incorporating one circular head dumbbell shape reduces the size of ground plane up to 31% while we achieved reduction of 12% in strip-length in comparison to the equivalent conventional coupler. In addition, we found an increase of 127.27% in its directivity compared to conventional counterpart. The ef-fects of variations of DGS dimensions on scattering parameters of this coupler have shown appreciable en-hancement. This coupler helps as an inspiration, encouragement and motivation for saving the materials used in designing it, reduces the electrical and RF losses converted into heat and thus a journey towards go-green-earth!
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - P. Bhakhar AU - V. Dwivedi AU - P. Prajapati PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Directivity Enhancement of Miniaturized Directional Coupler using Defected Ground Structure BT - International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing 2016 (ICCASP 2016) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.101 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iccasp-16.2017.101 ID - Bhakhar2016/12 ER -