The Khilafah Discourse on Aljazeera and Alarabiya: a Valuable Lesson for Indonesian Online Media
- Moch. Syarif Hidayatullah, - Yuliani
- Corresponding Author
- Moch. Syarif Hidayatullah
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.33How to use a DOI?
- Khilafah, Critical Discourse Analysis, Mass Media Ideology, Indonesian Online Media
- The study conducted on this thesis aims to reveal the online media ideology of Aljazeera and Alarabiya in presenting the news about Khilafah discourse, especially after the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in 2014. This study uses the theory of critical discourse analysis model Norman Fairclough which suggests that discourse is a social practice. This research uses analyzing the text, practice of discourse, and social practice. The results of this study indicate that the media Aljazeera and Alarabiya put Khilafah discourse as a movement, not a country. But Aljazeera media using vocabulary related to the political history of Islam which was built in the 7th century. In contrast to Alarabiya that did not mention the history of the Caliphate. The ideology used by both Arab media is Pan-Arabian ideology, but the ideology is not pure Pan-Arab because Aljazeera with its Arabic discusses the Khilafah discourse as part of Arabic history, while the pro-American Alarabiya does not discuss terminology Khilafah related to the state. The ideology of both media is also inseparable from the political interests of the country that funded the Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Moch. Syarif Hidayatullah AU - - Yuliani PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - The Khilafah Discourse on Aljazeera and Alarabiya: a Valuable Lesson for Indonesian Online Media BT - International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.33 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.33 ID - Hidayatullah2017/12 ER -