THE SOCIAL STRATIFICATION OF JAVA-MALAY COMMUNITY IN THE PERIOD OF PALEMBANG SULTANE IN THE 19 CENTURY
- Dewi Setyawati, Sariyatun Sariyatun, Suryani Nunuk
- Corresponding Author
- Dewi Setyawati
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.34How to use a DOI?
- Social stratification, Society of Palembang, Palembang Sultanate, Java-Malay ethnic , Living Quran
- The social stratification of society in Palembang appeared since the existence of Palembang Sultanate. Beside the native people in the 19th century, the population of Palembang consists of various ethnicities which have special existence of settlement, namely China, Arab, and the ethnic of Java-Malay Palembang but in this research, the discussion of social stratification focuses on the Java-Malay ethnic who are in the downstream and upstream area of Palembang as well as its role in each area of society. The historical method was used in this research and discourse analysis of data. The historical method has some stage, namely heuristic, critic, analysis, and historiography. The results of this research showed that the Palembang society especially in the downstream area, they are the Java-Malay ethnic, they have social stratification, and they have various noble rang or peerage in society which decide each area (Goo-gook). The peerage will lead or decide the future mate and the marriage relationship between the Java Malay ethnic in the downstream area and those who are in upstream are of Palembang.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dewi Setyawati AU - Sariyatun Sariyatun AU - Suryani Nunuk PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - THE SOCIAL STRATIFICATION OF JAVA-MALAY COMMUNITY IN THE PERIOD OF PALEMBANG SULTANE IN THE 19 CENTURY BT - International Conference on Culture and Language in Southeast Asia (ICCLAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.34 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icclas-17.2018.34 ID - Setyawati2017/12 ER -