Schiffrin’s English Discourse Markers Functions in The Students’ Hortatory Exposition Text
- Andris Susanto Dias, Linggar Bharati Dwi Anggani, Sutopo Djoko
- Corresponding Author
- Andris Susanto Dias
Available Online January 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.43How to use a DOI?
- English Discourse Markers, function, Hortatory Exposition Text
- Research on EDMs has abounded since the 1980s when Schifrin (1987) proposed her work on it. This research was conducted to analyze the EDMs functions found in the hortatory exposition text written by the students of University of PGRI Semarang. EDMs is needed to make a writing production be coherence and cohesion. The objectives were; to find out the English Discourse Markers function realized in Hortatory Exposition Text and to find out the more and the less dominant function written by students?. I used a descriptive qualitative as my research design. According to Miles and Huberman’s theory (1994:12) which is mentioned three types of analysis activity. Those are data reduction, data display, and conclusion drawing and verification. I analyzed the Hortatory Exposition text produced by the students of PGRI University Semarang. In collecting the data I did some procedures like collecting the texts, reading the texts, classifying the texts, and analyzing the texts towards the English discourse markers they used then finally concluded the results of the analysis. This research had 37 participants as a sample. The findings can show that along the 37 texts of hortatory exposition there are 304 clauses in which can be classified as follows; additive functions has 156 clauses means 50,3%, then contrastive functions has 38 clauses means 12,5%, and causal functions gets 70 clauses means 23%, the last is result functions reaches 44 clauses means 14,2%. I can deliver the conclusion as below; students are most familiar with additive discourse markers since it is used frequently and well know. The implication of this study is that students are able to use the EDMs to make their writing coherence and cohesion,
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Andris Susanto Dias AU - Linggar Bharati Dwi Anggani AU - Sutopo Djoko PY - 2019/01 DA - 2019/01 TI - Schiffrin’s English Discourse Markers Functions in The Students’ Hortatory Exposition Text BT - 1st International Conference on Education and Social Science Research (ICESRE 2018) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.43 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icesre-18.2019.43 ID - Dias2019/01 ER -