Proceedings of the 1st International Conference Postgraduate School Universitas Airlangga : "Implementation of Climate Change Agreement to Meet Sustainable Development Goals" (ICPSUAS 2017)

Strip intercropping productivity of modern maize hybrid varieties with pulse crops on a dryland

Authors
I Komang Damar Jaya
Corresponding Author
I Komang Damar Jaya
Available Online August 2017.
DOI
https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.27How to use a DOI?
Keywords
adaptation, climate change, crop failure, diversity, intercropping, monocrop
Abstract

Improving crop diversity on a piece of land, such as by intercropping, is one of adaptation strategies to climate change in dryland areas. The aim of the present study was to estimate strip intercropping productivity, that was expressed as Land Equivalent Ratio (LER), of maize and pulse crops on a dryland. Two modern maize hybrid varieties, NK212 (non-premium) and NK7328 (premium), and two pulse crops, groundnut (Hypoma-1) and mungbean (Vima-1) were grown both as monoculture and intercropping. The study was conducted on an Entisol sandy soil in dryland area of Gumantar village, North Lombok (8.253654 S, 116.285695 E). The size of each treatment plot was 8.4 x 5m with east-west orientation. Maize crops were planted as double-rows with 35 x 20cm spacing within the row and 70cm between the double rows with one seed per hole. Groundnut and mungbean crops were planted at 20 x 20cm with one seed per hole. From these spacings, 70% of land portion in strip intercropping was for maize and the other 30% was for either groundnut or mungbean. Each treatment was replicated three times. The results showed that the premium variety of maize NK7328 out yielded NK212, both in monocrop and strip intercropping with mungbean and groundnut. All LER values for the intercropping were higher than 1.0, being the highest (1.25) was from NK212-mungbean strip intercropping. These results indicate that strip intercropping of maize-pulse crops has a productivity advantage over the monoculture on a dryland. In addition to higher in productivity, strip intercropping can also spread the risk of crop failure in dryland areas during the recent high variability in climate.

Copyright
© 2018, the Authors. Published by Atlantis Press.
Open Access
This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).

Download article (PDF)

Cite this article

TY  - CONF
AU  - I Komang Damar Jaya
PY  - 2017/08
DA  - 2017/08
TI  - Strip intercropping productivity of modern maize hybrid varieties with pulse crops on a dryland
BT  - Proceedings of the 1st International Conference Postgraduate School Universitas Airlangga : "Implementation of Climate Change Agreement to Meet Sustainable Development Goals" (ICPSUAS 2017)
PB  - Atlantis Press
SP  - 118
EP  - 121
SN  - 2352-5398
UR  - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.27
DO  - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.27
ID  - DamarJaya2017/08
ER  -