Antidiabetic Effect On Tea Of Pluchea Indica Less As Functional Beverage in Diabetic Patients
- Yesiana Dwi Wahyu Werdani, Paini Sri Widyawati
- Corresponding Author
- Yesiana Dwi Wahyu Werdani
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.36How to use a DOI?
- Pluchea indica less; Diabetes Mellitus; Antioxidants
- Introduction: Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is a group of metabolic diseases characterized by increased levels of glucose in the blood (hyperglycemia) resulting from defects in insulin secretion, insulin action, or both (American Diabetes Association 2009). By 2035 the prevalence of DM is predicted to increase to 592 millions (International Diabetes Federation 2015). Uncontrolled blood glucose may increase the risk of complications. Hyperglycemia induced oxidative stress, it increased formation of free radicals and decreased antioxidant capacity, leading to oxidative damage of cell components (Bashan et al 2009).The purpose of this study was proved the antidiabetic effect on tea of pluchea indica less as functional beverage in diabetic patients. Methods: Pra experimental one group pre test and post test design. The population was diabetic patients in working area of Gotong Royong Hospital Surabaya. The number of participants were 21 people, it taken by purposive sampling based on inclusiv e criteria. The instruments were physiological measurements and observation sheets. Data were analyzed by paired t-test p < 0.05. Result: Antidiabetic effect on tea of pluchea indica less as functional beverage in diabetic patients was 0.001. There was a decrease in symptoms of DM complaints such as tingling and physical fatigue by oral expression. Discussion: The metanolic extract of pluchea indica less contains ethyl acetate, n-butanol, tannin, sterols, flavonoids and potent hydroquinone phenols as antioxidants (Widyawati et al 2012). Antioxidants inhibit the formation of reactive oxygen species and stimulate the nitric oxide production may potentially improve endothelial dysfunction (Hamilton et al 2007)
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yesiana Dwi Wahyu Werdani AU - Paini Sri Widyawati PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - Antidiabetic Effect On Tea Of Pluchea Indica Less As Functional Beverage in Diabetic Patients BT - 1st International Conference Postgraduate School Universitas Airlangga : "Implementation of Climate Change Agreement to Meet Sustainable Development Goals" (ICPSUAS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5398 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.36 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icpsuas-17.2018.36 ID - DwiWahyuWerdani2017/08 ER -